Transferring Your Outlook and Quickbooks Data to Mac OS X?

Cliff posted more than 11 years ago | from the information-migration dept.

Software 50

rollthelosindice asks: "I recently picked up the new 1GHZ eMac with Superdrive with the intentions of it being purely a video editing machine, but of course I changed my mind once I started using it, and wanted to import my email over from Outlook and my business accounting over from Quickbooks, however Apple's Mail can't import form Outlook, only Outlook Express. The same goes for Quickbooks, where they can only migrate over Quicken. I've tried all sorts of importing and exporting to/from different file formats (CSV, etc) to try and make it work, but there seems to be no solution other than running both machines right next to one another. I even tried VNC for a few days, but that got frustrating. Has anyone come up with a successful work around for these importing short falls? I'm sure there are others like me in this or a similar situation."

I was gonna try this... (2, Informative)

svenjob (671129) | more than 11 years ago | (#6152244)

I was going to load up Outlook Express and use that to convert everything to OE format and then use my new Mac [2khappyware.com] to then transfer it all over. Seems kind of overly complicated, but whatever works! Note: I have't tried it yet, but I can't see it not working.

Re:I was gonna try this... (1)

svenjob (671129) | more than 11 years ago | (#6152286)

Or maybe try downloading the Office.X Test Drive [microsoft.com] and installing it onto your eMac and converting it all there?

Re:I was gonna try this... (1)

Computerguy5 (661265) | more than 11 years ago | (#6165137)

This does not work as even the Outlook-like program, Entourage for OS X can not import Outlook data.

Re:I was gonna try this... (1)

amoralboy (680351) | more than 11 years ago | (#6163321)

The easiest way is to download one of the palm desktop clients. You can use those to easily convert between different formats and then import the data however you want to.

Three words: (1)

cheesekeeper (649923) | more than 11 years ago | (#6152352)

tab delimited text!

Use Eudora (5, Informative)

2nd Post! (213333) | more than 11 years ago | (#6152365)

I've been suggesting this for years, and have done it several times myself.

Export from Outlook/Outlook Express into Eudora, and from Eudora into Mail.

I used Eudora for a looong time exactly because it was cross compatible across platforms and versions. My mailboxes from 1996 are still readable in Eudora in 2003 :)

But Mail is just too darned convenient, so I switched last year; same with Mozilla/Safari.

Re:Use Eudora (1, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 11 years ago | (#6152973)

I tried to use and like Mail but I had so many problems like pitiful feedback when the mail server is having a problem. It took me days the first time to be sure that there was server problem. Recently it was eating outgoing messages and not reporting problems. Some times it gives bogus password errors. Configuring for more than one account can be confusing if you use different outgoing mail servers. Did I mention that it's unbearably slow when you have a lot of incomming mail ?

Use Eudora or PowerMail instead. There is noting worse that not knowing if your messages are being delivered or not.

Re:Use Eudora (3, Informative)

MoCycleGeek (543150) | more than 11 years ago | (#6153103)

First, on the original topic. I agree with the Eudora conversion suggestion, It's worked for me in the past.

Now: I'm not sure where you are getting unbearably slow. I just converted my local mail files on a NetBSD server to IMAP (1gig of mail, 180k+ messages of list traffic and such).

Sure it took about 20 hours to sync the first time (I have Mail caching all of my mail and attachments to the local disk so I can get at them offline) but once that task was over I find mail to be quite responsive. Esp when I need to resync the tree (yes, even with new mail - not just the old cached ones).

I'm using it with a 800G3 iBook.

-Sean

Try Outlook2Mac (5, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 11 years ago | (#6152377)

For the Outlook side of your problem you might want to consider Outlook2Mac by Little Machines [littlemachines.com] . I used this app to successfully get my cousin to switch over... The time is saved me was well worth the $10.

Re:Try Outlook2Mac (2, Informative)

Ivan Karamazov (657617) | more than 11 years ago | (#6152941)

I successfully migrated over two gigs of mail from Outlook PST files to Mail.app using Outlook2Mac. I also converted a lot of contacts. It's a great tool--reliable and accurate. Converts attachments and everything. Only problem, it runs in Windows.

Utility that works on Linux (4, Informative)

sunya (101612) | more than 11 years ago | (#6152432)

Try libdbx from :
libdbx on freshmeat [freshmeat.net] . It includes a utilty that will convert from Outlook to mbox. Then import it in your mac... works fine for me...

Re:Utility that works on Linux (1)

coolgeek (140561) | more than 11 years ago | (#6158274)

yup did that too for my mom. Worked mostly OK except for a few messages that were encoded in Traditional Chinese or something. libdbx choked (this was around last Thanksgiving; maybe it's been updated).

Use Mozilla for your Outlook mail (5, Informative)

rgrimm (89215) | more than 11 years ago | (#6152498)

Import your mail from Outlook into Mozilla for Windows. Mozilla stores all email in the mbox format, which is easily imported into Apple Mail. You obviously still need to transfer the files to your Mac, but that should be easy. Look for the mbox files in C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\some weird string\Mail.

If you want to spend money, try Outlook2Mac (http://www.littlemachines.com/).

Re:Use Mozilla for your Outlook mail (4, Informative)

Bob Wehadababyitsabo (629809) | more than 11 years ago | (#6154385)

I can vouch for Little Machines. I have over 30,000 pieces of mail in my Inbox alone, and Outlook2Mac worked almost flawlessly.

You can also try this hint [macosxhints.com] , but I couldn't get it to work.

To the previous poster suggesting libdbx [freshmeat.net] : it converts Outlook Exprees data files, not Outlook .pst files. For conversion of .pst files to mbox, you'll nedd libPST [sourceforge.net] . Only problem is, the released version of libPST doesn't support little endian machines w/o a code rewrite. The maintainer did release an OS X friendly version (0.4) but M$ threatened with a cease and desist letter.

Hope some of my blabbing has helped...

Bob

Intuit's Mac OS X support is terrible (3, Informative)

sjmadsen (14439) | more than 11 years ago | (#6152526)

I switched last year, and moving from Quicken '99 on Windows to Quicken '03 on OS X was the most painful part of the process.

Now given, you asked about Quickbooks, not Quicken, but based on my experience, you'll have to jump through some hoops to get there. I had to export my Quicken data to QIF, in the process losing my loans, memorized transactions, scheduled transactions and some other minor stuff. Then I imported this file into Quicken Mac and had to go back and fix everything.

QIF isn't Quicken's native file format. It's simply for transactions. One would think that after a decade of Quicken, Intuit's Windows and Mac engineering teams would share as much code as possible, but it just doesn't seem that way to me.

Quicken Mac '03 itself is an awful product. It lags the Windows '99 product feature-wise, lacks polish and has many bugs. Most of them are of the irritating UI variety, but I've had it crash on me several times and it can't seem to keep track of my home loan without getting the balance out of whack.

Unfortunately, momentum is keeping me with Quicken for now. I'm hoping that '04 is a big step forward. Otherwise I may look at switching to something else, like Moneydance.

GnuCash (2, Interesting)

struan (165737) | more than 11 years ago | (#6152601)

Can Quickbooks export a QIF or OFX file? If so, you might want to look at GnuCash [gnucash.org] for your finance package. It takes a bit of work to get all the dependent packages taken care of, but using fink [sourceforge.net] , or fink + FinkCommander [sourceforge.net] , it's not too bad. I ended up not using the QIF import, though, and just started cold-turkey, inputting data into GnuCash. Worked fine for me.

I can't say much for MoneyDance, the other main financial package option.

same problem (2, Informative)

minus_273 (174041) | more than 11 years ago | (#6152635)

I had the same problem the other day .. just got my girld friend to switch to an ibook and also got a old G3 myself :)
we both used outlook. The way i got her mail over to eonturage was by copying it to imap folders.
now theonly problem is how to get the calendar data and contacts (using csv was a pain)
also anyone know a good way to sync a pocket pc :-p pocket mac isnt too good (and costs $$$) and synce isnt done yet. Sigh i guess it is missing sync then

Pocket PC with Mac (1)

PurpleRabbit (673444) | more than 11 years ago | (#6158120)

MissingSync [markspace.com] looks promising. Due out soon.

I have also read the reviews of PocketMac and am disappointed and frustrated that it seems to be expensive and worthless at the same time. The concept of Missing Sync is different and appears to be more Mac orientated. let's hope it works.

Re:same problem (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 11 years ago | (#6217040)

Can you tell me where I can get the latest copy of girld? I hear it's a pain to set up and needs careful maintenance but works like a charm if administrated properly.

Versiontracker is you friend (1)

lawyer boy (152954) | more than 11 years ago | (#6152739)

www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19817

YOU ARE MY NEW BEST FRIEND (1)

rollthelosindice (635783) | more than 11 years ago | (#6155610)

well maybe not, but its great that you posted this link. I had signed up to intuit's "we'll email you when we have this product" list, but funny, i didnt get the email.

Re:YOU ARE MY NEW BEST FRIEND (1)

madsenj37 (612413) | more than 11 years ago | (#6159122)

Also a good friend can be found at http://www.macupdate.com .

Quickbooks made a tool (4, Informative)

jjarrard (674444) | more than 11 years ago | (#6152777)

http://www.quickbooks.com/support/index/win2mac/ma nual_download.html

Re:Quickbooks made a tool (3, Informative)

jeeves99 (187755) | more than 11 years ago | (#6153180)

broken link... Fixed. [quickbooks.com]

Use IMAP and .Mac (5, Informative)

gjh (231652) | more than 11 years ago | (#6153204)

Try this...

• Make sure the mail that you want is in a personal mail file (.pst) on Outlook.
  • Reconfigure your outlook client to use 'Internet Mail' - this is a complete mode change and will enable IMAP and disable exchange support.
  • Configure imap. The server you want is probably your .Mac account on imap on mail.mac.com
  • Drag all your folders to the IMAP server
  • Fire up your preferred Mac mailer and either just use the mail in IMAP or drag it to a local folder heirarchy.

It is of course a piece of lame commercialism that make M$ choose to make Exchange and IMAP connectivity mutually exclusive in Outlook.

Regards... Greg

Re:Use IMAP and .Mac (1)

davidstrauss (544062) | more than 11 years ago | (#6158843)

It is of course a piece of lame commercialism that make M$ choose to make Exchange and IMAP conectivity mutually exclusive in Outlook.

Outlook 2002 lets you use IMAP and Exchange concurrently.

For mail transfer, IMAP (3, Informative)

babbage (61057) | more than 11 years ago | (#6153402)

From everything I've read, it seems like the canonical best way to transfer a collection of mail folders from one application to another application is almost to try using IMAP for the translation: have your source application (Outlook in this case) export all it's messages to the IMAP server, then use your new mail application (Mail.app here) to import messages back from the server. Ideally, you could even leave the messages on the server, so switching from one mail client to another becomes as trivial as switching web browsers for accessing the same sites.

If your ISP or job *ahem* doesn't provide you with access to an IMAP server, then you can use Fink [sf.net] to install a copy of UW-IMAPD [sourceforge.net] , and just run that on localhost or somewhere on your home network -- sudo fink -y install uw-imapd

If you had other questions, I'm sure some sysadmin at work *ahem* would be willing to answer any questions... :-)

Re:For mail transfer, IMAP (1)

4minus0 (325645) | more than 11 years ago | (#6158604)

you can use Fink to install a copy of UW-IMAPD, and just run that on localhost or somewhere on your home network -- sudo fink -y install uw-imapd

This is the best solution. IMHO.

IMAP is going to be your best solution seeing as how you've fought CSVs with no luck at all. I've been down that road myself and didn't have any more luck than the OP did.
You have complete control over everything by running IMAP on your box.

I went so far as to trim the fat on my mail down to the stuff I absolutely had to keep and exported them as .rtf so I could open them later. I wouldn't do that again if I had to.
Keeping your mail as something that Mail.app can read would be a hell of a lot easier and much more convenient.

OS X for me is the best of both worlds: the commercial and open source apps I need to run to put food on the table and beer in the belly.
Just use the stout ass Unix you have and the awesome free/open software at your disposal.

Tough combo to beat.

Why bother? (2, Funny)

gnobulator (618513) | more than 11 years ago | (#6153498)

Gosh, that seems like so much trouble. Why do you need to keep all that email anyway? Is it really that important?

If you really what to keep it safe, I suggest printing it out and renting a security deposit box at your local bank.

Re:Why bother? (1)

bedouin (248624) | more than 11 years ago | (#6155886)

What you're saying isn't totally off-base though. How much of that E-Mail over the years do you really need accessible immediately? I have a ton of messages from when I used OE, and even more from KMail. When I switched to Mail app I just decided to leave it all behind. If I need a message from either of those I just load Kmail from my old Linux box over X11, or start up Windows in VPC. Mail app is sluggish as it is, no need to throw it 3000 pieces of 5 year old E-mail.

Use Emailchemy and QuickBooks! (3, Informative)

jdawg (21639) | more than 11 years ago | (#6153705)

There's a nifty lil' shareware Java app out there called Emailchemy that's practically a Rosetta-stone of email data. It's not free, but it works quite well [and is cross platform].

For QuickBooks data, why not just use QuickBooks? There is a Mac OS X native version.

Re:Use Emailchemy and QuickBooks! (1)

Ydna (32354) | more than 11 years ago | (#6155328)

QuickBooks Windows and QuickBooks Mac will not share data. At best, you could take an old QB Mac file and bring it up in QB Windows. Intuit just loves pokin' and jabbin' every chance they get. They claim to be dedicated to the Mac platform, but there's been absolutely no update from them since the release of QB Pro 5.0 for Mac (Pro my ass, it's more like QB 2000 plain jane for Windows).

But it won't be long before Intuit is toppled if they don't learn to play nice with their customers. Sorry, didn't mean to vent at the parent post in particular.

Re:Use Emailchemy and QuickBooks! (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 11 years ago | (#6157718)

Intuit has released a new, free data file converter for QuickBooks data files. More info is always at versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19817

I did it - scripts folder (2, Informative)

bassmastergeneral (675271) | more than 11 years ago | (#6154248)

Oh - man, after about 6 months out of being telephone support for apple I am forgetting everything... but, I do remember this little script inside the scripts folder (you mighs search for scripts in the nifty finder) there is a applescript that will parse through your outlook address book and perhaps (memory fails me) it does the mail too? Again, its been a while.. but you should have some luck looking into that script, maybe you can edit the script to do what you want it to do? Hope that helps... maybe applecare support can help you, but they will probably tell you to go FYS, but then again I helped someone do it once. I am pretty sure this was 10.2/jaguar only thingy...

Re:I did it - scripts folder (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 11 years ago | (#6174244)

The file is called "Outlook Express.scpt" in the /Library/Scripts/Helper Scripts/ folder, but it happen to fail, from time to time⦠Tough is free and is already on everybody machines ;-)
Andrea

You're all over complicating it. Ya Geeks! (2, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 11 years ago | (#6154429)

Convert your email account to IMAP vs POP3. That way all the content sits on the server. Then access the account from Mail. All will be downloaded to the Mac. Convert back to POP3.

As far as contacts, drag them out of outlook into a folder. This will create VCF files. They can be burned to CD and dragged right into Address Book on the Mac. Do not try to Export the contacts because this will create one large text file only readable by M$ clients. You want a bunch of little VCF cards, instead.

Very simple solution that you would have found out in a heartbeat had you called Tech support or even browsed he K base @ Apple.com

Done

Forgot to address the QB data...... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 11 years ago | (#6154498)

You're screwed.....Intuit wants you to pay for the change or if you want you can do it yourself through a copy of 2003 for windoze....but you'll have to buy that if you don't already have it...which you probably don't since you bought the Mac version instead.....

http://www.quickbooks.com/support/index/win2mac/ in dex.html

Go MYOB. I love it. Much better and all the conversion from QB to Account edge Pro is done for you. You even get a copy for windoze or Mac free for your accountant.

www.myob.com

Quickbooks for OS X (1)

amichalo (132545) | more than 11 years ago | (#6155058)

Before fussing with importing QuickBooks accounting data into the Quicken personal checkbook product, I would buy a copy of QuickBooks for OS X [intuit.com] (Click the "Products" tab and then "Pro 5.0 for Mac" on the left side).

As for importing mail, the best thing to do is use an IMAP (not POP) mail solution, like .Mac [mac.com] and then you can access the mail from any computer and where, via IMAP or the Website.

Buy Macs for the Karma

maybe via IMAP (1)

superposed (308216) | more than 11 years ago | (#6156319)

Long ago, I transferred e-mail from a tired old Windows laptop to an OS 9 laptop via IMAP. This seemed to be a pretty universal solution, so it could work for you.

First get access to an IMAP e-mail account (if you don't have one already, you might be able to run an IMAP server on OS X). Then access the IMAP account from your Windows PC. Create appropriate folders within the IMAP account using your Windows mail client (I'm pretty sure Outlook can do this). Then drag messages into those folders. Outlook should copy the messages over to the IMAP server. Then connect to the IMAP server using Apple Mail, and transfer all the messages onto your eMac.

This worked for me using a Windows 3.1-era e-mail client from Microsoft (I think it was Mail and News or something like that), and Outlook Express on the Mac. I haven't tried it with Outlook and Apple Mail, but "in principle it should work." It's pretty bandwidth-hungry if you have a lot of messages, though.

Here's another method I think I used once: First, I dragged messages out of Outlook (or something similar) into folders on the Windows Desktop. In my case, the e-mail program created plain text versions of all the messages. Then I transferred them to the Mac, changed the creator type to match Outlook Express and dragged them into Outlook Express (which accepted them quite happily). Somewhere in there, I think I ran an Applescript to add a "Received" date header in the plain text files, since Outlook Express uses that instead of the "Sent" date. I got lucky in making this work, so it may not work for you, but it's worth a try. You may also be able to import plain-text messages straight into Mail.

Good luck!

still waiting (1)

espidre (678978) | more than 11 years ago | (#6156405)

I'm still waiting for M$ to release their update to entourage, which is supposed to handle the Exchange/Outlook thing. In the meantime, I've had some luck with Outport ( http://outport.sourceforge.net/ ) for moving calendar information around. There are a couple of things I found I had to clean up for iCal to take the calendar from Evolution to iCal, but that's the beauty of OSX. Perl is right there for you.

Transfering Contact from Outlook (1)

NickeSvensk (590100) | more than 11 years ago | (#6156459)

I dont know if you just want to transfer your email from outlook but if you want to transfer your contacts there is a program the can help you that I used. It's called outpod and is made for exporting contacts to the iPod. But it can also be used to export contacts to the adressbook.
You can get it at http://www.stoer.de/ipod/ipod.htm

Good Luck.

Dear Apple (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | more than 11 years ago | (#6156947)

Dear Apple,

I am a homosexual. I bought an Apple computer because of its well earned reputation for being "the" gay computer. Since I have become an Apple owner, I have been exposed to a whole new world of gay friends. It is really a pleasure to meet and compute with other homos such as myself. I plan on using my new Apple computer as a way to entice and recruit young schoolboys into the homosexual lifestyle; it would be so helpful if you could produce more software which would appeal to young boys. Thanks in advance.

with much gayness,

Father Randy "Pudge" O'Day, S.J.

Dear Randy O'Day (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | more than 11 years ago | (#6156965)

Dear Father O'Day:

Thanks for your letter. Being Catholic myself, I know exactly what you're talking about! It has always been our plan here at Apple Computer Inc to revolutionize personal computing with our high-quality and highly gay products.

I'm happy to answer your letter by letting you know that YES we will be releasing an entire hLife ("homo-life") software line. You'll be able to recognize it in stores by the small stylized logo depicting a large cock entering a tight anus with an Apple logo on it. ("Suddenly it all comes together" indeed!).

Anyway, I hope you and other members of our community will join us on our mission, and purchase the exciting new hLife boxed set. Only the boxed set comes with translucent cock rings!

Sincerely,

Harry Rodman
Vice-president
Homosexual Liaison Services
Apple Computer, Inc.

How to avoid doing the migration thing ever again (1)

Baumi (148744) | more than 11 years ago | (#6157738)

A while ago, I found out a way to try out different mailers without having to migrate my mails:

I have an IMAP server running on my system. Its inboxes are being filled using perl scripts that get the mails from my POP3-accounts, sorting spam, mailing lists, etc. via POPFile.

Just took me an evening to set up, and now I can use any IMAP compatible mailer I desire. (As a bonus, I get complete access to all my mails from both my dektop and laptop.)

Re:How to avoid doing the migration thing ever aga (1)

rollthelosindice (635783) | more than 11 years ago | (#6161323)

Hey Baumi, Your solution sounds the best. Do you think you could contact me in regards to those perl scripts? Thanks, Roll

Quicken (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 11 years ago | (#6158570)

Quicken for OSX is pathetic at best.

It is years behind the windows version and if you have been using the windows version for a while you will have to start from scratch when you run the mac version. Also there is a good chance that your financial company may not support the macintosh version.

I am currently running the windows version on vpc, slow but it works.

Converting Outlook e-mail to Mail (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 11 years ago | (#6159375)

Here is a quick how-to for those of you that need to bring over e-mail from a Windows PC running Outlook to Mail.app on Mac OS X.

I have only tried this with the source mailbox being Outlook 2002 SP2, with Outlook Express 6 (build 2800) being used in the conversion process (on Windows 2000 Pro SP3), and the target being Mail 1.2.5 on the Mac (10.2.5). It will most likely work on older/newer versions, so try it out.

Steps on Windows PC:
--------------------

1. Open Outlook Express, click File on the menu bar, select Import, choose Messages.

2. Select Microsoft Outlook from the list, click Next

3. Choose the Outlook profile you wish to import from, click OK.

4. Verify the import worked, then close Outlook Express

5. Download a free tool called DbxConv from:
http://people.freenet.de/ukrebs/dbxconv.htm l and extract it to a temp folder

6. Open Windows explorer and browse to:
C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\\Microsoft\Outlook Express\ and copy the .dbx files that contain your e-mail (should be same name as folder in Outlook Express) to the temp directory with DbxConv in it

7. Open a command prompt, change to your temp directory, and type: dbxconv *.dbx

8. The resulting files will be .mbx, rename these to .mbox

9. Transfer these .mbox files to your Mac.

Steps on Mac PC:
----------------

1. Launch Mail, create your folder structure to match Outlook if you want

2. Click File on the menu bar, select Import Mailboxes

3. Choose Standard mbox files, click the next arrow

4. Browse to the location of the mbox files, click Choose, the mailboxes should be selected

5. A folder will appear in Mail called Imported Messages (expand this), drag the e-mail from these folders to your desired folders in Mail.

Notes
-----

This method will bring over the e-mail messages with attachments, and only these headers:

From:
Date:
To:
Subject:
Mime-Version:
Cont ent-Type:
Content-Transfer-Encoding:
X-Priority:
X-Msmail-Priority:
X-Mimeole:

This should be acceptable for most people, as I figured e-mail that you are importing usually would be considered old or 'archived' e-mail where only the content is important.

IMAP (1)

tengwar (600847) | more than 11 years ago | (#6159400)

For the Outlook problem, you may be able to avoid doing a conversion. I run my own mail server for various reasons, and access it through IMAP. As you probably know, IMAP allows you to store email in folders on the server, rather than just being a download protocol. It's supported by both Outlook and Mail, and in fact I use both clients with the same mail repository.

My own system uses a separate Linux box running sendmail to download the mail, then a separate imap daemon to allow access to the mailboxes, but I don't think that you will need to have the sendmail part for your purposes. I'd suggest just setting up the IMAP part, and using Mail or Outlook to do the mail download from your existing server, then just file the messages on the IMAP machine, using it purely as storage. Since both mail clients can support multiple servers you shouldn't have a problem doing this. This should allow you to migrate from Outlook by setting up the new folders on the server and just copying the files over from the local Windows folders - i.e. Outlook will do the conversion for you.

IMAP is available for the Mac - I don't use the Mac version myself, but I think you'll have to install it from Fink as I don't think it's part of the standard Mac distribution.

On the financial side, I use GnuCash but don't have enough experience to recommend it. It will import QIF. A major consideration is that most banks will not allow download to anything other than IE on Windows.

Converting Outlook e-mail to Mail.app (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 11 years ago | (#6159540)

Here is a quick how-to for those of you that need to bring over e-mail from a Windows PC running Outlook to Mail on Mac OS X.

I have only tried this with the source mailbox being Outlook 2002 SP2, with Outlook Express 6 (build 2800) being used in the conversion process (on Windows 2000 Pro SP3), and the target being Mail 1.2.5 on the Mac (10.2.5). It will most likely work on older & newer versions, so try it out.

Steps on Windows PC:
--------------------

2. Select Microsoft Outlook from the list, click Next

3. Choose the Outlook profile you wish to import from, click OK.

4. Verify the import worked, then close Outlook Express

5. Download a free tool called DbxConv from:
http://people.freenet.de/ukrebs/dbxconv.htm l and extract it to a temp folder

6. Open Windows explorer and browse to:

8. The resulting files will be .mbx, rename these to .mbox

9. Transfer these .mbox files to your Mac.

Steps on Mac PC:

Mime-Version:
Cont ent-Type:
Content-Transfer-Encoding:
X-Priority:
X-Msmail-Priority:
X-Mimeole:

Convert them to a Text file. (1)

Dolemite_the_Wiz (618862) | more than 11 years ago | (#6159598)

These data files are nothing but formatted text files. Zip them up if you have to.

Dolemite